Monday, March 10, 2014

March 10 - 16, 2014 - SF.

Monday, March 10.  It is another anniversary for our family today - we lost my brother-in-law, Dan a year ago and I truly know what his family is going through.  I love you all and miss him dearly - although we didn't see each other all that much, our frequent phone conversations were always a joy and when we did get together, it was always like we had never been apart.  He was a true friend.

Charlotte was a real fireball today.  She and I did the grocery shopping this morning and she was quite the conversationist when we checked out - very well behaved.  We dropped the groceries off and headed to the playground, she was very well behaved and we had lots of fun.  When I looked at the monitor after her nap, she laid naked in her crib and yes, she had peed.  She told me it was too late to go on the potty.  At dinner time, she snuck the treat container from the kitchen cabinet and then she wouldn't eat her dinner. 

This evening, when Jill and I were getting the twins ready for bed, she snuck into one of the cribs and took the pacifier.  She came running into the living room, all excited and happily announcing "I did it" - then proceeded to pretend she was a baby.  Again, she took her diaper off and was putting her pjs on without one.  And ... she climbed on the chair by the computer and started playing with the mouse.  This all happened in about 10 minutes.  Then, after tooth brushing and videos, she threw a tantrum about going to bed.  WOW,  no wonder we are all exhausted by 7:30 each night.

Tuesday, March 11.  Marta picked me up this morning and we went to the deYoung Museum to see  an exhibit of Georgia O'Keeffe's works from Lake George.  I have such respect for her - a woman who grew up in Sun Prairie, Wisconsin - an independent woman who walked her own path and created some of the most beautiful paintings that I have ever seen - real and abstract.  I'm borrowing one to post here.  Of course, her paintings of flowers are some of my favorites.

After seeing the exhibit, we went to the Park Chalet and had lunch, seated at a table overlooking the ocean, and watched the surfers, dogs running around, and lots of people frolicking around.  It was a nice time spent with a good friend.

This afternoon, we found time for Jill to give me a much needed haircut.  I think my hair grew an inch and a half since the 1st of February.

Wednesday, March 12.  I'm sitting here watching the twins, lying on their tummies on a blanket on the floor.  Every time they look at each other, they smile and jabber.  It's so darned cute!  I can't wait to see what their relationship is like later in life.

Sunday, March 16.  My last week with family was another busy but good one.  Ben took me out to dinner to Tommy's Mexican Restaurant on Thursday night and we had a really nice time.  Six weeks is a long time to be here, but we sure don't find a lot of one on one time, so this was a very nice evening.  I stayed with the kids on Saturday night so they could go out for dinner to celebrate their 6th wedding anniversary (they have been together for 20 years).

Sunday morning playtime for Ben and his girls.

And today, it all wound down.  Charlotte was real cuddly with me this morning but she wouldn't give me a kiss before I left.  Some how's Grannies planned this one right as Jill dropped me off at the airport and went right to arrivals and picked up her Mom.  

Connie picked me up at the airport in Phoenix and as soon as we turned off the freeway onto Val Vista Drive, I could smell the sweet, sweet scent of citrus blossoms in the air.  I love it!  I was smothered by kisses from Frisco when I walked in the door.  He's such a sweet little guy - I'm going to have to spoil him after deserting him for all of this time.

Home, Sweet, Home is feeling pretty good right now.