Tuesday, October 6, 2015

October 5 - 11, 2015, MN, IA, NE, CO, NM, AZ

Tuesday, October 6.  I took off yesterday morning after breakfast and after walking Charlotte to school.  I then made a stop at the grocery store before hitting the road.  The trip to the West Des Moines KOA was uneventful and I really like the park - it has become a regular stop off spot when going through Iowa.  I couldn't help thinking so much about my brothers, Ray and Russ and the time I recently spent there with family.  Such a tragic thing.

I was getting ready to go this morning hen I dropped my RV keys into the little hole in the console where the emergency brake is.  I could see it but I couldn't catch it with a bent hanger - afraid that I might pull on something that shouldn't be tugged.  It's a good thing that I have a spare set and I can wait until I get someone who can get to it for me.

I had hoped to see some Sandhill Cranes today, as I chose this route because of the migration route (I guess that is more of a spring event) but I didn't see a one.  I did see a flock of White Pelicans though and that as pretty special.

I'm sitting under a nice pine tree at the Holiday RV Park in North Platte, NE right now.  It was like a long drive today, 8 hours with stops.  Now, I have to figure out the which way to go and how far to go tomorrow.

Wednesday, October 7.  Happy 2nd Birthday to Camille and Norah!  I made the decision to get off the interstate this morning and it was a mistake, in the sense that there was absolutely nothing of interest to see along the way.  Time wise, probably the same.  I headed south on US 385 and there were miles and miles of nothing, interrupted by a crappy little town about every 30 miles.  As I got closer to La Junta, CO, the GPS routed me on state and county roads that zigzagged to my destination.  I had an old red pickup truck with a white hood following me for the last 150 miles - got a little spooked with that, but haven't seen it since.  I thought there would be some elk or other wildlife to see but nothing but cattle, corn, maize, and sunflowers - oh, and a tarantula crossing the road.  I do think Mike was with me today because the Monarch butterflies were fluttering everywhere - unfortunately some are in my grill.  I also felt his presence when I couldn't get a radio station except one AM station that played old country and trucker tunes - he would have loved it.

With the time change (I'm on Mountain time now), I arrived at the KOA around 2:30.

Thursday, October 8.  Today I travelled along some of the original Santa Fe Trail, a major trade route between the US and Mexico.  It made me think about how it must have been back in the 1800s traveling on foot or horseback or by covered wagon - treacherous.  And I was getting tired and restless in my comfy little Toyota pulling my comfy little house behind me.  It was a 7-hour drive and I was so relieved when I got to the KOA in Grants, NM.  At checkin, the friendly gal gave me the "little rig" discount and took $7 off the price.  Frisco got a cookie and so did I.  And to top it off, they had a home-cooked turkey dinner with all of the trimmings plus a few other dinner selections.  I had stopped for a late lunch this afternoon and wasn't too hungry.  I opted for a piece of "fruit of the forest" pie that was excellent - definitely home made and topped with ice cream and delivered to my door.  Yummy!

 This is what I mean by a lot of nothing to see in Colorado.

I have about 5 hours to go tomorrow and I'm looking forward to it - most of it is such a beautiful drive.

Sunday, October 11.  I made it back to my house by 2:00 on Friday afternoon and started the process of unloading.  All is good with my house, although there is a lot of yard cleanup to do.  The back and side yards look like a forest things are overgrown in in need of a good trimming.

I spent the day Saturday cleaning the inside of the trailer and then I was off to the car wash to take care of the exterior - they both had a costing of bugs that took some serious scrubbing effort to clean them off.  I got the trailer tucked back in the storage lot and then learned from Tom that I was in the wrong one, so had to go back this morning and move it over one spot.

Connie had me over for dinner on Saturday night - so good to talk with her again.

I stopped by Nan and Dale's this afternoon to say hello and got to see Monica too.  They are all in preparation for Monica and Loren's wedding this Thursday in Sedona, a small private event.  I will help them celebrate when they have a reception at a later date. 

It feels good to be back here.