Monday, December 16, 2013

December 16 - 22, 2013 - AZ

Monday, December 16.  I'm upset.  I found the back to an earring on the floor in the bathroom this morning and after searching and searching, I was unable to find the earring.  It was a gift from Mike years ago and I don't want to lose another reminder of him.  

I'm happy!  I found the earring on the floor of the bathroom when I got home from running errands this morning.  Yay!

My car cost me $160 this morning when I took it in for an oil change and was told that the transmission fluid looked dark.  He didn't charge me for the oil change but I was surprised at the bill.  And then, when I got back home, I got to thinking that my car is smart - it would probably tell me when to change the transmission fluid.  That proves that I'm not thinking too clearly these days.  And it cost me $$$ that I may not have had to spend.  They also told me that I had a leak in the front struts - this, I believe might be covered on my warranty, so will check it out.

I'm sad.  Sharon called to tell me that Mom is not doing well.  She hadn't opened her eyes all day, her blood sugars were really high, and her apnea causes her to stop breathing at times.  Poor Mom, she is there without any family nearby, as they are getting snow and the roads are treacherous.  The thought of losing another person in the Bridge family is making me feel really sad. 

Wednesday, December 18.  Rest in Peace, dear mother-in-law, Jane Bridge.  She passed away about 6:30 pm, shortly after Tom, Karen, and Becky left her side.  Pat spent time with her on Tuesday and said that she did open her eyes but he didn't feel any acknowledgement from her. 

Here are some of my thoughts on this great lady:

Jane Bridge, known to me as “Mom” since I met her back in 1966 (just 2 years after losing my own mother), when she welcomed me to her family with open arms.  From the beginning, I’ve known her to be a giver.  She dedicated her life to nurturing and caring for others.  Early in her marriage, during a time when she lost several babies of her own, she provided foster care for babies that were up for adoption.  Then she and Dad started their family by adopting Mike and then their family grew when they had 2 more sons and a daughter to love and care for.  When her own children were grown, she became the caretaker for other children, including mine at various times.   
It was nothing to her if there was one or more extra mouths to feed at dinner time.  What a good cook and fine baker she was, always trying out new recipes and making sure there were plenty of everyone's favorites around.  When grandchildren came, the crib and the toybox that were stored in the attic came out.  She was my expert resource on raising children and I tried to live by her loving example.  I have fond memories of sitting on the front porch stoop, chatting with the neighbors, gathering around the kitchen table for meals, sitting around the campfire at the cabin, sharing books and watching soap operas, going for long drives just to watch the scenery

When her family grew up and Dad retired, they enjoyed spending time outdoors, at their cabin, and traveling  in their campers.  A lover of all animals, she took in strays and always had pets to care for and to take comfort from, many of them were rescued from bad situations.  She loved feeding and watching the birds, shooting bottle rockets to scare the crows that were robbing other bird's nests, and marveling at the antics of the squirrels.

I will cherish these memories forever - she will always be "MOM" to me. 

Saturday, December 21.  I can't believe that it was 8:30 when I woke up this morning - and I was in bed by 8:00 last night.  Guess I needed a long night's sleep. 

I've spent a lot of time on the phone the last few days with family and friends, calling because they heard about Mom, or just calling to talk and give Christmas wishes.  I am so thankful to have such a warm circle of loving folks around me. 

The family has decided to have a small graveside service for Mom on Jan. 3, and then have an informal family gathering to celebrate her life in June.  I will not be flying back for that but will definitely be there this summer.

I stayed busy all day, but don't ask me what I did.  Oh, Allan and Sharon were in the area, so they stopped by for a light lunch and a very nice visit.  I loaned Sharon some of my antique bottles so she could use them in a still life painting.  I can't wait to see what she creates!

Sunday, December 22.  After getting all of my groceries yesterday, I had what I needed to make the sauce for the Christmas lasagna and I put a pork loin in the crock pot so we could have pulled pork sandwiches later in the week.  I also made some fudge and unbaked caramel cookies.

Pat and Roger joined me for dinner of pork roast, baked potato, and carrots.