Saturday, March 31, 2018

March 25 - 31, 2018, AZ

Saturday, March 31.  Early Tuesday morning, I learned that Rick passed away Monday night around 10:00 pm.  I am saddened and heartbroken but also relieved that he will struggle with life no more.  He managed to live for 64 years, in spite of the last 18 of them being a burdened with the claws of alcoholism - The Ursino Curse.  I was asked to write his obituary and here it is:

Richard Scott Ursino started his life on May 13, 1954 in Stoughton, WI and died from complications of Cancer on March 26, 2018 in Springfield, MO.

Rick is survived by his daughter, Monica (Loren) Vandever of Peoria, AZ, sisters: Rita (Dennis) Walker of Blue Springs, MO; Rose Bridge of Minneapolis, MN; Rene (Michael) Moore of Warsaw, MO, and brothers: Robert (Penny) Ursino of Grain Valley, MO; Randall (Julie) Ursino of Springfield, MO; Ronald Ursino of Wichita, KS; and Russell Radecki of Iowa City, IA and many nieces, nephews, and friends. He was preceded in death by his parents, Robert and Ruth (Peckham) Ursino and brothers Rocco and Raymond Ursino.

Rick was an artistic guy who was good at sketching and drawing, taught himself to play guitar and harmonica, and had a lifelong appreciation for blues music. He was very involved in Boy Scouts and Explorers as a child and earned a trip to Washington DC with his troop. These experiences gave him a love for the outdoors and camping. He spent much of his life in the Stoughton area and relocated to Springfield, MO in 2009.

Rick endured many struggles in his life including homelessness, alcoholism, and 2 bouts with Cancer, but he kept his faith, a positive attitude, a sense of humor, and a determination to carry on. He was a loyal brother and a friend to many. His battles ended at the age of 64.

Would you know my name

If I saw you in heaven?

Would it be the same

If I saw you in heaven?

I must be strong and carry on

'Cause I know I don't belong here in heaven.

        From "Tears in Heaven" by Eric Clapton

I also worked on researching options for burying his remains with Mom and Dad at St. Ann's Cemetery in Stoughton.

Tuesday morning, I learned that my good friend, Jim McDaniel fell during the night and broke his neck. What sad news this was and the community is praying for his recovery.  Surgery on Thursday was successful in fusing the bone, although he will probably not be able to turn his head and recovery will be long.  Positive thoughts and prayers going their way.

Things like this make you realize that you just never know what could happen in a split second that can change your life forever. Especially as we get older and live in a community of people in our age group.  I believe that you just have to make the best of life and enjoy every minute that you can.

I did just that on Tuesday night when Connie, Kathy, and I went to Val Vista Village to meet up with Pat and Sue for an evening of girl talk, music by Northstar, dancing, and fun.

Last night, Tom, Arlene, and I met up with Jim and Sue, Pat and Rog at La Casa De Juana for dinner and had a very enjoyable time.  The Hoovey's head back to Wisconsin on Sunday and Chandlers leave on Thursday.